“Good things come to those who agitate.”
This weekend, the world lost one of the most important figures in the Civil Rights Movement. Julian Bond was a key leader of the critical student movement and headed the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee while at Morehouse College. He went on to co-found the Southern Poverty Law Center, chaired the NAACP, and was elected to the Georgia House of Representatives.
The Civil Rights Movement showed what incredible feats student and youth activism could achieve, and that was largely thanks to Bond’s work. Here are some quotes from Bond on social justice, activism and leadership that anyone, especially young people seriously considering their place in the world, could benefit greatly from hearing.
1. “Violence is Black children going to school for 12 years and receiving 6 years’ worth of education.”
2. “I tell young people to prepare themselves as best they can for a world that grows more challenging every day-get the best education they can, and couple that education with real-life experience in social justice work.”
3. “I think you could not be in the civil rights movement without having an appreciation for everybody’s rights. That these rights are not divisible.”
4. “Good things don’t come to those who wait. They come to those who agitate!”
5. “Leadership can come from anywhere. You don’t have to be a certain type of person or have a certain type of education…You just have to be willing to throw yourself into the fight.”
6. “If we have social justice, we won’t need social service.”
7. “What we mean by integration is not to be with them (whites) but to have what they have.”
To partner with Peregrine Reads on this initiative or to share your ideas, kindly send a mail to email@example.com. Your suggestions are highly welcome and appreciated!
Do you have an article you’ve written or would like to write? Something else you’d like to share with us on Peregrine Reads? Wish to be Interviewed? Don’t hesitate to send submissions/Interview request to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Thank You.